Senior Node.JS Developer (m/f/x)
TL;DR: Chance to bring your TypeScript experience to the table and accelerate a team of 6 with your experience and knowledge by building the leading enterprise dialog management tool.
Join our growing Future of Voice team to help our customers to build better voice applications.
We, the product team, are dedicated to build an enterprise tool that enables businesses to have conversations with their customers using voice assistants. Our product, Parloa, provides an interface for business users to design and maintain their dialogs and we make sure to deliver these automated conversations in a scalable way on the leading voice assistants, like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant and via telephone.
In our 6-person developer team we are using Scrum, peer reviews, TDD, and architecture workshops to keep pace with the fast growing opportunities the assistants provide.
Company Techstack: TypeScript, Node.js, Kubernetes, Docker, MongoDB, Inversify, Lerna, Koa, Jest, Phoenix, React, Redux
What to expect – An example sprint
Monday – Sprintstart: The product owner summarizes the highest prioritized user stories. As they all have been groomed before, we share a understanding of the stories already. Together we agree upon a scope of the sprint. This sprint we have mostly focus on the Epic of automatically upload the Google Assistant Speech Assets.
Kickoff: In the kickoff we plan how we go about the bigger stories or stories with an interface between frontend and backend. For the most part we stay in the domain we have most experience in (frontend/backend) and collaborate within the team to deliver the features. There are no hierarchies in our development team. Based upon your experience you contribute well in how bigger stories can be split into tasks which can be developed in parallel.
Tuesday: You co create the first API draft with your front end college. Your experience with structuring APIs including versioning helps to quickly find an adequate solution.
Wednesday: The product owner presents the biggest pain points and possible solutions in the Pregrooming meeting. We collaborate on the story to find more effective alternatives. Your good overview of relevant node.js/typescript frameworks allows you to contribute what external functionality can be leveraged. Your understanding of the fundamental design principles behind scalable and distributed web applications allow you to point out risks in the structure.
Thursday: After work a small group gathers on the balcony to fade away the day with some drinks and bbq.
Friday: You have finished the story. Quite a few merge conflicts pop up when you create your pull request. You sit down with a fellow dev and resolve the issues in a peer programming style. As a team we always provide peer reviews of pull requests. Even though you have many years of professional experience and technical knowledge, you have not lost the skill to consider other point of views.
Monday: The customer success team uses the Parloa to deliver voice experiences. They need more ways to analyse the usage behavior. Along with a voice user interface designer and the product owner you participe in a workshop to design the improved analytics features. Your understanding of delivering a product incrementally allows you to propose releasable increments to the path of the full feature.
Tuesday: Big news from our customer success team. A new customer just went live using our product. Our daily ends with a short applause and appreciation for everyone who was part of the project.
Wednesday Evening: Every two months we organize the Berlin Voice Interface Meetup and it is time again. After the meetup we grab some beers together with some people from the meetup.
Friday: It testing time. We don’t have a dedicated QA person, but take on the responsibility ourselves. So we do a final manual QA before finishing the sprint. Many aspects are tested automatically. However some are more efficient to test manually and some aspects would didn’t think of but detect it in the QA. You have worked with all levels of testing and the past. Identifying an appropriate way of testing is easy for you.
Monday: We release all finished stories and present the customer success team what new features they can work with. Finally we reflect in the retro what went well in the sprint and we want to keep and in which fields we have room to improve.
- You will effectively collaborate with your peers, the product owner, UX designer, and our customer success team. (both technical and non-technical)
- You proactively contribute to team and organizational improvements in process and infrastructure
- You will code, test and operate node.js based services, which are mostly but not limited to the backend
- You have 4+ years of professional experience as a developer
- You understand the fundamental design principles behind scalable and distributed web applications
- You have an in depth understanding of worked with Node.js and (preferably Typescript) and you have an overview of the relevant frameworks for web development
- You are aware of the difficulties in delivering product incrementally in a Scrum process and have know corresponding strategies with their pros and cons You have experience working in a scrum team, in which you were delivering products incrementally
- You have worked with all levels of testing and the past. Identifying an effective testing strategy is easy for you
- You know how to structure APIs including versioning strategies
- You are experienced in using Jest, Koa/Express MongoDB, Mongoose, and Docker
- Other Pluses: Kubernetes, Lerna, Inversify, React, Redux, SocketIO, GraphQL
What we offer apart from a challenging job and an open environment:
- Work flexible working hours
- Join our voice meetup with over 1500 members in regularly events
- Minimize the time to get to work because of our convenient located office close to Alexanderplatz, Weinmeisterstraße und Hackesche Höfe.
- Commit your work and join us regularly on the balcony for a bbq session, in our lounge for games night or just where you are for a cold drink.
- Enjoy drinks like coffee, rhababerschorle and coffee coke, fruits and snacks.
- To give you an idea what to expect working with us please find some comments from our last company wide retro below:
“Growing team … and I like everyone.” (Elisabeth, VUI Designer)
“Product usage and progress are on the rise.” (Stefan, Product Owner)
“We ship faster than our customers name requirements” (Cleo, Customer Success)